Voices for Independence (VFI) was incorporated as a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization in December 1993 by a group of individuals with disabilities who wanted to create an alternative to the existing service and advocacy options available at the time. They wanted to provide independent living supports and services that are consumer driven, and responsive to and respectful of people with disabilities. VFI is dedicated to creating a service delivery system that empowers people with disabilities to take control of their lives, and become active and productive members of their communities. Voices for Independence is comprised of a majority of individuals with disabilities. In keeping with the independent living philosophy of consumer control and direction of services, VFI continues to design programs and services that are needed and wanted by the communities that we serve.
The mission of Voices for Independence is to empower people with disabilities and promote independent living.
VFI serves individuals with disabilities, with the goal of improving the quality, independence, dignity, and control of their lives, as well as to promote a philosophy of independent living, including a philosophy of consumer control, peer support, self-help, self-determination, equal access, and individual & systems advocacy. Additionally, a strong focus is placed on the integration and full inclusion of individuals with cross disabilities into the mainstream of American society.
We intend to improve our world by:
- Promoting the independent living philosophy.
- Enhancing independent living services.
- Providing peer counseling
- Creating a newsletter service for the disability community
- Publishing a quarterly newsletter.
- Developing community resources to provide accessibility modifications.
- Developing an equipment exchange loan program.
- Providing individual and systems advocacy.
- Assisting individuals with disabilities to get out of nursing homes
Our Board of Directors:
- Kathy Hertzog, Chair
- Robert Bach, Vice Chair
- Raychel Vendetti-Adiutori, Secretary
- Sean Sullivan, Treasurer
- Laura Angelotti
- David Tome
- Shona Eakin
- Larry Smith
- Keith Klink
- Darlene Wolford
- Brook Ward
- Paul Sonson
- Mary Patrick